Thursday, August 2, 2007

Just Beyond My Imagination!!

Dogs have always been a part of my life!!!



The day my dad brought me home from the hospital nearly 57 years ago, he went out and got MY first dog. It was half Manchester and half Chihuahua. Jiggs was a little black dog with a feisty temperament. We had a unique relationship. He would bite me and I would bite him back. I am not sure how much Jiggs liked me until I got a little bit older. Jiggs died when I was 10. We buried him in the back yard and while there were no outward signs of where Jiggs was buried, I could take you to the location to this day.



After Jiggs came Tippy, Prince, and Betsy. Tippy died early in life as a result of distemper despite being vaccinated; Prince was a bull of a dog that wouldn't step into the house regardless how bad the weather was; and Betsy was a doll baby who watched me leave home to go to college....she was always my dog, but Dad became her caretaker during the final years of her life.



As an adult I have had two dogs. Oscar was a German Shorthair Pointer. He was nothing short of a lovable beast. He was strong, handsome, loving and full of curiosity. Cancer claimed his life long before his heart was ready to give out. My last dog was Coach. He was a Border Collie that captivated me. He was a devoted dog that finally succumbed recently to arthritis and old age. I don't think I will ever get over missing him and nearly daily I walk by and notice the package of his ashes on my desk.



Loving dogs for me is just a way of life. They are what they are advertised to be...MANS BEST FRIEND.



I tell these stories because of the recent barrage of sports news dealing with the horrid aspects of dog fighting and the inhumane attitudes and behaviors of those associated with Michael Vick.



Case in point. Sure, I know Michael Vick hasn't been convicted of anything (though I believe its just a matter of time). The idea of dog fighting just nauseates me. To watch two dogs fight to the death would infuriate me and to imagine that any person could do such a thing is difficult for me to comprehend. How could a critter that provides so much love be utilized in such a way.



The idea borders on insanity. Those involved aren't sporting individuals. They aren't gamblers. They might not even be human beings. I know for certain they are SICK, SICK, SICK earthly entities that our society would be better off without.

And, for all those involved, I only hope they get a taste of their own medicine.












No comments: