Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Yeah, I Cried!

I cried Tuesday morning. I still cried some Tuesday evening. Not a lot, but I still cried.

Owning pets is a wonderful thing. If I had my way I would have a puppy by my side right now. But it doesn't work that way. Still, there is some resemblance of contentment in my life with the kitty cats in the house.

The trouble is, there is one less kitty cat today. Claudia has left this life and in so doing, has taken a little bit of life out of me. Claudia was a great cat. Claudia was a wonderful cat. Claudia will be sorely missed and I am not ashamed to say that as the chemicals coursed through her tiny body ending her rather short life Tuesday morning , I was hurting. I didn't want to let that little girl go. She had all those qualities that any living creature would love to have.

Claudia showed up on the door step several years ago. She was a frail little thing who was just begging for attention. It didn't take long for her to work her way into the house. A trip to the vet revealed that she had been exposed, unfortunately, to feline leukemia. It didn't matter. She stayed. She was quickly assimilated into the household routine and gave so much more than she ever took.

Claudia had that panache that we learn to love in the underdog. Despite the exposure to feline leukemia and the smallness of her stature, she was a winner. She had the greatest personality of maybe any animal I have been associated with. She was a cat that loved people. In my adult life I have owned two dogs--Oscar (a German Shorthaired Pointer) and Coach (a Border Collie). I miss them both, terribly. Oscar was an athlete -- strong, rugged and durable. Coach was as adorable as they come. And, they each loved people--maybe too much. But Claudia, a cat who shouldn't act that way, loved people even more.

She knew no bounds in becoming the most active animal in the household. She was the youngster. Christine is the older, wiser cat and set in her ways. Its Christine's way or the highway. But, Christine took a wide path around the playful Claudia. Bobby, my bobtail cat, is a real he-man. He wants attention only when he wants it. Claudia goaded him each and every day into the chase. And when they were done she crowded in beside him wherever he decided to nap.

But then the feline leukemia reared its ugly head. Claudia became lethargic. A trip to the vet showed that her red blood cell count was down and her white blood cell count was virtually non-existent. A Columbus animal cancer center was a possibility even though radiological exams did not show any tumors. Finally, the vet suggested a round of antibiotics to see if an infection might be lurking in Claudia's frail little body. On Tuesday morning, attempts to kick-start the life back into little Claudia had come to an end.

After the terrible deed was done I came home. Lost and alone despite the presence of two other cats, none met me at the door. No cat crawled up into my lap for attention. No cat sat on her little perches scattered all over the house overlooking human activity--her way of being close to people. No cat crawled under my feet as I washed dishes.

Yes, I cried Tuesday morning. And I am not ashamed to say, I cried Tuesday night too.

2 comments:

Spencer Gore said...

Davis,

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost a loved furry member of your family. I know that nothing can fill the emptiness felt by one who has lost a loved one. I hope that the great memories that you and Claudia shared together comfort you in these hard times.

I know what it’s like to lose a furry member of the family. I lost my black lab Heidi two and a half years ago, shortly after my 16th birthday. She also was young, just 4 years old. She had terminal cancer, and despite the vet's emergency intervention attempts, there was nothing that could be done for her. Sadly, I never got the change to say goodbye to my little girl while she was still alive. Every time I think about all of this I still cry, just as I am now, but I am soon comforted by the great memories I have with her and the rest of my family.

The thing that helps me most is to remember the sweet kind, caring, and loving gaze of her beautiful eyes that she would always greet me with. The loving kisses she would give me and the soft nudges to remind me she was there were wonderful. I'm sure that you can recall many great things about Claudia, just as I have about Heidi. Those are the things that I encourage you hold on to and remember. These are also the things that comfort you.

I hope that the sweet memories of your little Claudia comfort you as you go through this sad time. The pain is over for her, but the healing has just begun for you. I hope that the days get easier and the tears fewer as time goes on. Remember the good times...

Always,
Spencer

Ken said...

Spencer---thanks for your comment. I have always made animals a part of the family and have always had sad feelings at the passing of one of them. Each in their own way was special...Claudia perhaps because she was infected with feline leukemia when we took her in and we knew her time was truely measured. She was a sweetheart that will be impossible to forget.

hope you are doing well...thanks for your concern....davis