Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Cleaning Off the Desk, Edition #1

Those who know me are well aware that I am an avid reader of the news. I receive four weekly news magazines and two daily newspapers and constantly scan the news locales on the internet. I frequently watch the news on television in the wee hours of the morning and having a discussion about the news is not an uncommon verbal exercise for me.





Thus, I find myself frequently snipping out an article from a magazine or newspaper that has struck my fancy. It doesn't have to be an earth-shaking story. Its might just be a tidbit that seems unique, it could be a dazzling bit of information, or it could be a though-provoking factoid that leaves me scratching my head.





At least two of those types of stories have sat on my desk for about a week...so I guess its time to clean off the work-station.





First, a story out of The Week, dated July 6-13. The article dealt with lost airline luggage and where it eventually winds up. Surprisingly I learned that if an airline settles with you, the maximum allowance you can receive for lost luggage is $2,500. While that might sound like a fair amount for an out-dated, ragged piece of American Tourister, I quickly discovered that the payoff can be a far cry from the actual worth of the lost item.





Most of the lost luggage is sold and winds up in Scottsboro, Al., where the misplaced items are removed from the tote and placed on sale at the Unclaimed Baggage Center. In this modern day version of "Wow, what a store," a shopper can find such brand names as Dior, Gucci, Tiffany and Prada. Lets not forget that if those names crop up you can be sure that Hilfiger, Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister are on the premises as well.





All of a sudden, a well-packed suitcase could be a bargain for $2,500. But, lets not stop there. Among items that have been discovered in "lost" luggage have been a suitcase full of Egyptian artifacts dating back to 1500 B.C., a $17,000 diamond necklace, and a six-carat diamond solitaire. Of course, my favorites were the guidance system for an F-16 and an oil painting valued at $20,000.





Needless to say, the story had my attention from start to finish and I couldn't help but be elated for the person who bought a suitcase, unopened, and found $2,000 crammed in the side pocket. Sure, I felt sorry for the victim who lost his luggage, but I was thrilled for the person who found it and that the airline lost out on that piece of baggage.





The second article that I can now dispose of deals with the topic of cloning. I certainly have mixed feelings about cloning. Yes, I think sometimes we are messing with God's domain. But, I also think that the supreme being put us here to learn and better ourselves.





The article appeared in Newsweek, July 2-9, and featured pictures of 17 animals that we have successfully reproduced using the knowledge we have uncovered in the area of genetics. Of course, only the most remotely existing hermit would be unaware of Dolly, a cloned sheep dating back to 1997.





But since then the family tree of cloned animals has certainly wandered down the beaten path. The list includes the mouse (1998); bull (1999); pig and goat (2000); gaur and mauflon (2001); rabbit and cat (2002); mule and rat (2003); African wildcat (2004); dog, water buffalo and horse (2005); ferret (2006); and wolf (2007).





What a list. There is no doubt that we could take the cloning procedure up the ladder and create a person. But I, like so many others, don't really think that's such a wise thing to do. But, then again, I am not so sure the above list makes a lot of sense anyway.





Case in point, why would anybody want to clone rabbits when they are so good at reproducing themselves?

No comments: