Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What Do You Want for Half Your Paycheck?

It seems like each visit to the movies is more expensive than the previous. The movies cost more...of course they are paying some of these stars a lifetime salary for an hour of screen time; and the outrageous price of concessions makes you wish for a long, cold winter requiring heavy jackets so you can more easily sneak food into the theater.



Since summer began I have visited our illustrious movie establishment twice. There are several reasons why the number is minimal. First, the issue of price as previously stated. But other reasons exist. The theater is located at the mall...and heaven knows I hate the mall (but that will be another discussion somewhere down the road). Furthermore, I hate sharing a movie with people who are there to do anything but watch the movie.



"Case In Point." The first movie I watched at the theater this summer was Mr. Brooks starring Kevin Costner. While some of the reviewers downgraded the film for its numerous subplots...I thought it was great. In fact, I loved the subplots. Life is a series of subplots. We all have 27 different things going on in our life, half of which are related to each other. So, why can't the critics accept that and enjoy the film....I know I did.



Anyway, I saw Mr. Brooks during a Friday afternoon matinee. And, not really to my surprise, I was the only person in the house. Wow, this was great! For the first 10 minutes I enjoyed my popcorn and lemonade and was taken into the world of an extremely successful serial killer.



Then, the unthinkable happened. As I sat enthralled by the developing personality on screen, two ladies walked into the theater. Okay I thought, "I have to share my movie with them." Little did I realize at the time that my thoughts carried tremendous weight. I certainly did have to share my movie with them because, despite a completely empty theater other than the one seat that I occupied, the ladies decided to sit right behind me. And, they proceeded to begin a discussion almost immediately. Furious? Those of you who know me know how I felt at that minute. After a few minutes I finally found a new seat and overcame my hostilities to enjoy the movie.....all the time hoping that Mr. Brooks might want to demonstrate first hand his techniques on a couple of rather rude women.



The second film I saw this summer was Live Free or Die Hard starring Bruce Willis. I am a long time Die Hard fan. Even today, if I have the remote in my hand and an installment of that series is on television, the channel-surfing stops there.



Maybe I am easily influenced by films. Perhaps that is because I am selective about what I am willing to spend half of my paycheck on for entertainment. So, right up front, I loved Live Free or Die Hard. In fact, I think that it might be the best film of the series. Yet, I also recognize that it needed at least the original film's events to set the stage for this one. I was mesmerized by Willis' ability to survive the trauma of an action movie, though I am not sure how many stunts were carried out by stunt men.



I was also captivated by the idea that the story could be feasible. I am not trusting enough to think that our massive computer networks are safe and secure. That doesn't limit my use of the computer and the world wide web, but it makes me well aware that security will always be questioned by me and certainly many others.



I did notice the naysayers of this film butchered it for what they saw as improbablities. Well thats okay! Some people get their enjoyment that way. I consider the movies entertainment and am willing to overlook what others see as a flawed time frame or an impossible scenario as long as I am entertained by the movie.



Afterall, thats what I want for half my paycheck.

No comments: