Monday, July 9, 2007

Today is a new day!!!

Well, today is a new day!!!



After 35 years in the classroom I find myself retired and stumped by the question, "What are you going to do now?" Honestly, I don't have an answer to that question.



Sure, I hope to do some substitute teaching, and when I asked my athletic director about continuing to announce many of the athletic events at the school where I worked during the past 17 years he quickly responded, "That's a lifetime job."



But, "What are you going to do now?" continues to be a bigger question than I could have ever imagined. Years ago I considered getting a few nice flat yards to mow (to heck with those hills---climbed too many of them in college). Then a bicycle accident destroyed an arm...thus lawnmowing is more of an adventure today than a way to make a few extra retirement bucks. Driving a floral delivery truck or a customer service vehicle for a car dealership would be nice....but I don't want a schedule. I had a schedule dictated to me for 35 years and it's one of the reasons I retired.....I am not anxious to get into schedule-following again.


I went to a movie yesterday, shampooed a carpet today, have spent two days having my truck repaired, and have continued my usual camping routine for the past several weekends. But, going to the movies everyday would be cost-prohibitive (and besides most movies aren't worth seeing); housework is not my favorite chore; and camping season ends when the cold weather arrives.

So the question persists! "What are you going to do now?"

Well, why not a blog. Certainly, I am not sure it will be read by many people...perhaps by none. Still it will be my 15 minutes of daily creativity. It will give me a reason to read the newspapers, watch the news, share my opinions (feel free to disagree...but you will have trouble converting me), and continue to believe that I have an answer--right or wrong.

Where will I go with this blog. Well the door is open. I enjoy current events, a class I taught for six or seven years. I do enjoy SOME movies and SOME music; sports at least at the high school and college level are fun; sports at the professional level are out of control; politics are always fun; religion isn't necessarily off-base, but not a topic I would ever spend much time on; and life in general is always worthwhile (otherwise it wouldn't be life).

Anyway, TODAY IS A NEW DAY!!! Welcome to my blog. Hope you enjoy it!

4 comments:

Taylor Phillips said...

What are you going to do? I've got you covered remember? You are coming to all of my games...duhh

Amanda Twyman said...

I know what you are going to do Davis! You are going to talk to me. I know, I know. It's something you've always enjoyed doing.

tumbleweednpaper said...

Hmm, interesting. As a photographer, I must say, the picture at the top of this blog...quite a piece of work.

Spencer Gore said...

Davis...Davis, I know you well enough to know that you will find something to get yourself into. You can keep in touch with me, although that may not be extremely exciting, but it is something to do. Remember to find some time to just sit, relax, and enjoy the little things that come your way. I'll miss seeing you, but maybe we will run into eachother at Shoney's sometime. Take care, have fun, and stay safe.
-Spencer