Wednesday, July 25, 2007

This Ain't God's Art!!!

No big secret here!! Davis cannot stand tattoos. He hates them. He loathes them. He finds them bordering on contemptuous. And most of all he doesn't understand them.


Over time, I guess I have become more tolerant of this form of art (boy, it hurt to call it art). But, tolerant and appreciative are two vastly different words.


Yes, I have friends and many students who possess tattoos. And while I believe to have been successful in not judging the person by their exterior decorations, I just couldn't understand why someone would do such a thing. Yes, I have encouraged people NOT to be tattooed, but rarely with success. No, I didn't write them off, but I did demonstrate my displeasure, for what it was worth.


Finally, I am seeing some support for my point of view. A USA Today article dated July 23, talked about society's newest responses to tattoos. In particular the issue dealt with excessive or visible tattoos on persons who are involved in the military and law enforcement portions of our world.


The military has taken a stand on visible tattoos. Now the military has restrictions established as to where a visible tattoo can be found and what percentages sections of the body can be ordained with the inky designs.



The military has long had a "monopoly" on tattoos with veterans coming back with an artistic design celebrating their service to the country or remembering their mom or spouse. For some reason, 50 years ago, that form of tattoo didn't really bother me. But, as the tattoo became much more bold and somewhat frightening in appearance, I lost interest in the body art and turned more disgusted by it.



Police departments have taken perhaps an even stronger view of tattoos. Summer uniforms have become taboo for officers that have tattoos that are visible to the general public. And, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that First Amendment rights do not apply to uniform standards devised by police departments.


One of the statements that came from a spokesman who said that intimidation is one thing that comes to play when hiring police officers with tattoos. A tattooed police office could appear threatening to a citizen who is seeking assistance. That makes sense to me.


Call me chauvinist, but I guess I am particularly appalled by tattoos on females. Perhaps its my generation, perhaps its more a personal attitude, but I do hate to see a tattooed female. It just doesn't seem like a very lady-like thing to do. And no, I won't apologize for my feelings.

Case in point. Can you imagine your 80-year old grandmother with a tattoo on her arms and/or legs. Not a pretty picture in my mind.

No comments: